Tuesday, April 3, 2012

The Letter U

U is the last letter of the alphabet that we  cover in kindergarten this year....so sad ( I was really having fun with this). 
And I found two wonderful books to share with the boys and girls:  What Color is Your Underwear? by Sam Lloyd and The Ugly Pie by Lisa Wheeler.

 Lisa Wheeler has a way with words.  So with a "heap of hope" and "hitching up the britches" I offer to you my unit that I am working on.  Right now it is in rough draft form but I will happily send it as an attachment to you if you send me your email address.
As of today it includes:  a setting wkst, a character wkst, identify short u sound, a rebus story, two writing response sheets, 5 more active, manipulative ideas for centers, etc.(one with CVC idea)  Most activities are created with only a few students in mind because we are an ESL pullout class.  The southern culture and language of our great USA comes out in this story and is a unique opportunity to share that with the students and hey....it goes with our core curriculum.  I am trying to put each core curriculum standard on every worksheet or activity.
     The boys were delighted with the story and loved saying "ugggly pie" when repeating the story.
And they now know and recognize the word ugly without having really taught it.  I love when that indirect learning takes place.
    **As a side note, this book has excellent alliteration and I hope to create a lesson plan for older children with the story.  It is just too, too good.  Thank you, Lisa.
Whoo-wee....want a roomful of giggles?  Sam Lloyd has it for you in this book.  Who can resist underwear, colored underwear at that!  What better way than this for the little cherubs to remember that U sound and think of these animals when going u  u   u   underwear.   I guess one could say umbrella but the mental visions are just not quite as entertaining.  And, oh the ending!!  What a treat.

Miss Sarah over at http://misssarahsstorytime.blogspot.com/2012/02/flannel-friday-what-color-is-your.html has done a cute flannelgraph with it.    Mrs. Langham over at
 http://learningwithmrslangham.blogspot.com/2011_09_01_archive.html used it to teach colors. 
I have not created anything to go with that yet.

But fun, fun, fun with both books and great visual imagery to help those little memory keepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment